We talked a bit about the Great American Bake Sale last week, but I wanted to talk a bit more about my own bake sale on Saturday. I am completely floored by the support we've been getting. It's gone from a half-baked idea (heh) hatched up on a night like this, as I sat on my bed reading emails and surfing my life away, to a real-life thing, with a roster of people affiliated that reads like a who's who of Los Angeles up-and-comers: restaurateurs, caterers, and bakery owners; artists, musicians, and writers. And let me tell you, the roster of baked goods is even more glamorous. First let's get the basics out, because I want you all to come, and then I'll gush about all these details.
What: The No Cookie Left Behind Bake Sale and Hootennany
When: Saturday, Aug 18, Noon to 4 pm
Where: Scoops Ice Cream Shop, 712 N. Heliotrope, just north of Melrose
Why: As part of the Great American Bake Sale, we're filling you with sweets to raise funds for Share Our Strength, an organization that combats childhood hunger in the US by:
- increasing access to the public and private programs that can provide food to those who need it,
- strengthening the community infrastructure for getting healthy food to children, and
- teaching families how to get the most nutrition out of a limited budget.
Ok, now that that's out of the way.
The food: Mexican chocolate rice crispy treats, Persian-style baklava with saffron and cardamom, pumpkin cupcakes, strawberry cupcakes, cappuccino cupcakes, lemon bars, biscotti, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, orange vanilla cookies, chocolate Guinness cake, coconut cake, fleur de sel caramel cake, maple vanilla granola, Barefoot Contessa coconut macaroons! And this is just a sampling! Woooo!
The bakers: Many food-loving amateurs -- some dear friends, some people I've never even met -- are contributing sweets. But the following delicious professionals are also representing: Lark Cake Shop, Spork Foods, and Reservoir.
Green LA Girl
Living Large LA
What's to Eat LA
Blackburn and Sweetzer
Metroblogging Los Angeles
The tipping point:
- Watch out for No Cookie Left Behind in DailyCandy LA's Weekend Guide on Thursday!
- Tune in to Good Food on KCRW 89.9 on Saturday at 11 to Ann Le of lalunchbox.com and Jenny Goldberg of Spork Foods chatting with Evan Kleinman about our bake sale (amazing, right?).
Seriously though people, it's gonna be rad. Stop by on your way to Sunset Junction or the Tofu Festival. See you there!