Thursday, August 30, 2007

Recurring Fantasy


It happens every day. As I drive to work, at around 8:30 in the morning I pass slowly by the giant Hollywood and Highland shopping center. And I think to myself, maybe today will be the day. I'll find a spot that hasn't been reserved for tour buses, and park my car on the curb. I'll wait an hour and a half until Beard Papa opens. Then I'll cross the street, walk in, and order a green tea flavored creampuff. I'll sit down with it and start eating it slowly: delicately break off small pieces of pastry with two fingers, lick any dribbles of custard -- slightly bitter with its tinge of matcha green, balanced with perfectly velvety texture and rich, creamy flavor. Forgetting that I'm now about 2 1/2 hours late for work, I'll savor each perfect bite.

Then I'll get up and order another one.

I have this thought every day on the way to work. Every single day.

Is this weird?

[thanks stanley for the photo]

4 comments:

  1. Not weird at all. It's part of the beautiful torture of living in this great city ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aubrey, thank you. beautiful torture indeed.

    tsp, no creampuffs for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had that cream puff first thing in the morning and it is something to behold. If you don't walk into work covered in a fine dust of sugar, you did something wrong. It's 4 months since I had it and I still shudder and quiver and the thought of how it tasted. It may even be worth parking on one of the north/south streets and walking over. Yeah, that good.

    ReplyDelete