Thursday, June 19, 2008

No Cookie Left Behind: 2nd Annual

So, once upon a time (last year), I received an email from an organization called Share Our Strength. They were having this thing called the Great American Bake Sale, where they mobilize people across the country to have bake sales with proceeds going to ending childhood hunger, and could I post about it on my blog?

Well, I'm never one to turn down a food-related charity -- it is, after all, the only way I can really balance out the food indulgence that is my everyday life. And I do love baked goods. So, I thought to myself, yeah, I can sink into my bed and write about this thing, but why don't I also get up and actually have a bake sale? So, several accomplished, well-connected, and food loving friends, an inventive ice cream man with a heart of gold, and a million emails later, No Cookie Left Behind was born. The enthusiasm for our little bake sale floored me at every step. Before we knew it, we were getting nods on DailyCandy and KCRW's Good Food, and all over blogland (what? i just don't feel like saying blogosphere.) The good vibes that we felt on what may have been the hottest day in the universe spread from vegan bicyclists to merciful parking enforcers. Through the glory of banana bread, lemon bars, and many pink cupcakes, we were able to raise over $1500, easily surpassing our goal of $1000.

And Saturday, June 28, the No Cookie Left Behind Bake Sale and Hootenanny is back!

Please join us again at Scoops for even more deliciousness and good times! This year's offerings include banana caramel cake, homemade chocolate peanut butter cups, chocolate Guinness cake, dozens of cupcakes, lemon bars, zucchini bread, sweet almond bread, a wild mushroom tart, many mini banana bread loaves, Spork Foods vegan cookies, Paulette macarons, Lark Cake Shop cakes, and much, much more.

And if all that is not enough incentive, come for the ice cream. After all, it's Scoops! And if it's still not enough... well, clearly you're dead inside. Sorry.

But if you want to make a tax-deductible donation, maybe you're not dead inside after all. In fact, you're awesome and we love you. And if you love to bake, we'd love you even more if you contributed something: just drop me a line.

Here are some bake sale photos from last year to whet your appetite. Hope to see you on the 28th! (And if you do come by, do introduce yourselves! No Cookie Left Behind is also about community.)

2 comments: