Tuesday, September 12, 2006

new kids on my block

ok, another quick one, although i have so many yummy things i could talk about here, but things are a bit hectic. anyway, there are three establishments in my extended neighborhood on the verge of opening, and i wanted to share the news. wish i had pictures, but i don't. Exercise some imagination, will you?
  • Little Next Door. Next door to the Little Door (duh), on my West Third Street, they have lifted the wall covering up the construction of this place. It's apparently going to be a gourmet deli and wine shop (because I don't have enough of those in my life) to complement the more formal dining at the dreamy Mediterranean restaurant next door. Not exactly sure when it's opening, but it looks great from the outside -- huge arched windows, those Frenchie woven sidewalk cafe chairs (by the way, do these have a name? I find myself recalling them frequently; I feel I should address them formally). Obviously I am thrilled; it's like opening a cat store around the corner from a spinster librarian.

  • Shabu-shabu Ya. Next door (to the north) of Sake House Miro, on La Brea at 8th, is coming a shabu shabu place. Looks bright and modern. I'm excited that that little stretch of La Brea, which also includes Little Bar, is building up. Appears to be very close to opening, and I look forward to checking it out.

  • Busby's. Not that excited about that one. It appears that the old Conga Room on Wilshire, just west of La Brea, is becoming another outpost of Busby's, that meh high-end sports bar on the west side. I am less than thrilled about this one. I have a love-hate relationship with Busby's. Except replace love with hate. Every time I've gone there, I've had to stand in line, even in the middle of the afternoon. The guys manning the line are insufferably cocky. And once you're in there, the post-frat crowd is no great shakes. No thanks. Hopefully this one, being farther east, will have a better vibe, but I for one will not be pounding on the doors on opening night.

1 comment:

  1. Totally unrelated but Alon was on KROQ yesterday. =)

    8:10 - Breeding Between the Lines
    Author and biology professor Alon Ziv talked about his fascinating new book, which proclaims that interracial people are healthier and more attractive than 'pure' people. He bases this theory on genetic theory - their broader gene pool exposes them to fewer diseases - and statistical studies - something like: people with more symetrical bodies and faces (again, a by-product of genetic diversity) have more sex than others. Oddly, they're also more likely to give their partners orgasms, a fact which perked up Lisa's ears!

    ReplyDelete