Monday, March 16, 2009

An AKOY PSA


My friend Erin is doing a triathlon. She's been training like a madwoman (that's her above, running with glee), and turning herself inside out trying to raise funds. The cause is a very worthy one: the Leukemia and Lymphoma society. Old friends of mine, Jana and Monica, have both survived lymphoma, and they are just two of the countless people who are affected by this horrible business. Read what Erin has to say below. Considering donating.

Dear Faithful Readers of Tannaz's Blog,

My name is Erin Ramos and I am a longtime friend of Tannaz's and one of the founding members of Team Tokyo. I write to you today not about food, but about a charity that I'm supporting. But first a little background - I'm currently training for a triathlon which takes place at the end of March. And those of you who know me know that I'm no athlete. Especially when it comes to swimming. Because really - why would I want to participate in a sport in when you get tired, you drown?

However, here I am, months later and I'm finding myself weeks away from my first race. I couldn't have done it by myself - with Team in Training, I've got a network of coaches and mentors to help with my journey. In return for the fantastic coaching, I've made a pledge to raise $5,500 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Here's where the charity part comes in.

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society has for 60 years been helping people suffering from blood cancers live better and longer and is most importantly striving for the ultimate goal - finding a cure. Although cancer has thankfully never affected me or my immediate family, it's been inspiring to hear the survival stories told by my teammates who have suffered or know someone who has suffered from cancer. Many of the stories they told ended happily, but some may not have were it not for organizations like Team in Training or LLS.

Anyway, I'd like to take this moment to tug at your heart strings and humbly ask for your support. Your donation will mean a lot to me, and to the many men, women, and children out there fighting with blood cancer. Please take a moment to look at my training page where you can track my progress and make a donation. It's a good cause and Tannaz I'm sure wouldn't let me hijack her blog for a bit if she didn't think so herself :)

http://pages.teamintraining.org/los/lavatri09/eramosaguw

And if this post hasn't moved you to donate yet, maybe this will:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz7jXVe4kXA

Thanks for your support and generosity!

No comments:

Post a Comment